SoCalCycling.com Forum Index SoCalCycling.com
A Cycling Forum for Everyone that Loves to Ride a Bike!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amgen TOC Women's Criterium in Santa Rosa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalCycling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Amgen TOC Women's Criterium in Santa Rosa Reply with quote

I just posted the flyer for the Amgen TOC Women's Criterium in Santa Rosa. This should be a really good race and is a great town with a neat downtown area.

Is anyone going to head up for it?

Have fun and good luck.

Flyer:
http://www.socalcycling.com/Schedule/2005/racesched05.asp
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'll be there.

It should be a good field. I encourage anyone who has the day off from work to try and go. I have found several people interested in hosting women cyclists, so I can forward the contact info for host housing.

The plane ticket is under 170 bucks (alaska airlilnes) so really there's no excuse.....I know two ladies from LA are actually driving! (crazy)

Anyway, I am for sure looking forward to this event. I know the promoter and sponsors are very excited to have it.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was awesome! 85 starters. They still talk about giving us a stage race, we'll see if they finally do it next year.

I'll be back!
SoCalCycling

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome you had a great time. You'll have to give us the low down - was it fast? lots of attacks? sprinters teams wanting a field sprint or any breaks?

Did you get to hang out and watch the men finish?

That is great that they added a race for the women. I have heard they were trying to make it few stages too. That would be great!

In '94, my teammate Carmen DAlusio (nee Richardson) and I did the Tour DuPont. They had two days for the women and we won the race in Delaware, so that was really cool. It was really exciting to be a part of such a big race and see all the big named guys.

I am really glad they have added the women and hopefully it will continue to grow. Maybe Missouri and Georgia will add the women too?

photo Mitchell Clinton / www.clintonphoto.com
tippytoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats racers,

this is BIG, in my opinion. Too bad Versus probably did not cover it. It would place womens racing in front of the clueless masses, to let them know, yes, women race too.

I think Amber should have been promoted like Lance, two back to back tour de france wins??!!

And kudos to the women racers at VOS, which was anything but sunny. I saw Banning's ladies, Rock racing, Kahala/Griffen (who took 3rd in the Masters' TT) and some others. Be sure to tell us about the adventure, keep the momentum going, we need someone to aspire to.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story soon.
I was told by my host that Versus did cover the women's event and he is making a DVD.
The local station showed the start, a few laps in the background while talking about the boys and the finish. The local station also showed the podium and a brief but good interview with the 3 podium ladies.

I hope this race is a keeper. The fans were fantastic, the support of the community was exceptional.

What a great weekend for sure!
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2008-271

Full Results.
mkidd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Brooke Miller is a rock star Reply with quote

Awesome finish. I'll bet there aren't a lot of people who can say they came around Van Glider in a sprint.
SoCalCycling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Awesome finish. I'll bet there aren't a lot of people who can say they came around Van Glider in a sprint

Brooke Miller seems very fast and looks a lot lighter and leaner this year to me. For someone that has only been racing a few years she is making great progress and will only get better. She has a good mentor in Linda Jackson.

LVG is very fast. I raced with her on Navigators at Tour de Toona in '99 and had the opportunity to lead her out for the win in the final crit. That was really fun to ride with her. She just keeps on going and getting better.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, when Brooke got on the podium, her quads were HUGE!
She certainly did some prep work this winter and must have phenominal power.

It was at least 700 m to the finish, if not longer, you could barely see the finish sign if at all from the final turn. (we rode opposite direction than the men) The ladies certainly rode an impressive race.

I think Laura lead it out for a while, from the stories it states Brooke came around at 50 m. 2nd is still a fantastic finish, what a treat to see the top two sprinters duke it out.
BikeBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great sprint finish just to get top ten...
Judging by the attrition (about 90 riders at the start), it was something of a success just to finish with the pack.
I heard firsthand that the race was really fast. Twisted Evil
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our ave was 25. My max was only 32.8 which is why I didn't win.....I am sure the sprinters were topping above 37.

Good news is I didn't feel like it was hard,( though my result didn't show that.)

One of these days I'll take some chances, but I had to work on Tuesday......I took the inside line for safety, thinking wow there is only a few chicks in front of me. Then I looked Left and saw all the trains up the outside!

Doh!....but the crashes happened wide, so I just didn't want to take another chance on the outside given that took me out once already in the first 20 minutes.

Next time.

Kudos to the local girl in the top 6!!!
And I believe she won one of the CASH Primes!
sinner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron's had a team there... But no sprinter in the results??? Oh maybe thats because they can't say up right on 2 wheels???...
Dear Crabby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner wrote:
Aaron's had a team there... But no sprinter in the results??? Oh maybe thats because they can't say up right on 2 wheels???...

I heard Anna crashed..
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15 of us went down or stopped in turn 2. there was no where to go and riders were already down on the ground. (there are actual photos!)

A mechanical within 5 laps to go from the spare bike ended the chances of an Aaron's podium unfortunately.

Visailia is coming though!
sinner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just seems that some girls are on the ground more than others??? Sure this one might have been a worong place at wrong time kinda thing but someone had to cause it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: