SoCalCycling.com Forum Index SoCalCycling.com
A Cycling Forum for Everyone that Loves to Ride a Bike!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where are the woman racers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIKEDOM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: where are the woman racers Reply with quote

I went to Ontario to spend a day in the sun and watch a day of racing. When it was time for the womans race to start. There were 6 woman. What is going on? Now ray does want to not have womans races next year. I don't think that would be good for the sport and woman's racing at all.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lord, because one race had poor turnout? He had good size fields all year long. There were the Elite Track nationals qualifiers this weekend at ADT which I know 16 women did the sprints, more probably did the mass starts. There were the women.

Did the men's fields fill? I would be curious to know if the men's fields were smaller than usual.

If guys take a break, it is not as obvious because they will always have a bigger field. Does this mean the women can't take a break because it will put to much of a dent in the field size and we will then be punished? are you kidding?

Also, of course on 7/20 there would be no women, there were THREE races on that day.

Geezzz......
admorrow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: It's about money. Reply with quote

I'll start by establishing my interest here.

I have no current immediate interest if women's races continue or not. I am a Cat. 1 man who will be racing age 35+ next year, and both my categories (35+ and Pro/1/2) are almost always included and well attended, and therefore aren't competing for time with the women's races. However, as of 16 or so months ago, I do have a daughter and would like to see her racing some day.

Back to the subject and my posting subject: It's all (or mostly) about money.

Few, if any, race promoters are altruistic. They do not to promote races simply for the virtue of promoting races. Instead, most are capitalist with some altruistic intentions, meaning they promote races to make money and sometimes carry a category or more because of the warmness and fondness in their heart for the sport.

Based on what I see time and again at races, most promoters are the capitalist/semi-altruistic in that they keep including women's and junior categories which, one their own, aren't financially sustaining. The quantity of racers and entry fees barely cover the prize purse, let alone the cost allocation according to the portion of time set aside for the race.

Without a need to check Ray's books, I am confident in saying a six-woman race was a loss.

Categories may get cut when there aren't enough racers to make it interesting or enough money to be made, not because they're male or female. If anything, junior and women's races are the exceptions, owing their continuation mostly to the "building the sport" and "fondness of heart" sentiments.

Without volunteers and sponsors, most races and categories wouldn't be financially viable from a revenue/expense standpoint without severely increasing entry fees and/or reducing prize lists. I am thankful for volunteers and sponsors and am proud to be both.

If cutting a race category because it isn't financially viable is punishing the racers, than isn't keeping the category punishing the promoter?
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't we look at the results of the olympics? Hmm. pretty amazing that with very little structure and support that the women are so successful.
Yes having women's and junior categories does not make money. But where do you think the other racers come from?

Without the kids, there is no future. Without the promoters taking a dig at the grassroots level of women's cycling, there is no base for the future women in the sport.

Thank God for those promoters that will continue to promote women's cycling even though it doesn't make money.

By the way, whether a promoter has women or not, they are not making millions by holding a bike race. It IS because they love the sport.

Thank God for Mike Englemen and other people that are going against the grain and support women's cycling.

This is why the SCNCA and the USA cycling should supplement promoters financially for those who take a hit by having those categories. It was proposed two years ago that with all the money SCNCA receives, they should supplement the junior and women categories since they do loose some entry fee money. This should be revisitied and taken seriously this time.

And as for the prize list, very rare is the women's prize list a big financial burden, check it out some time. AND juniors do NOT receive money.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a rider who raced 20 years ago. Maybe we should just have no gender categories and everyone race together.

Just like back in the day.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: