SoCalCycling.com Forum Index SoCalCycling.com
A Cycling Forum for Everyone that Loves to Ride a Bike!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLITICS SUCK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: POLITICS SUCK Reply with quote

She has the potential to get 3 medals....what a shame.

Vos to push Olympic time trial selection

Marianne Vos has asked her attorney to look into forcing The Netherlands national team to nominate her for the Olympic time trial, according to her manager Orlando van den Bosch. The 21 year-old, who last year won the Women's World Cup, was notified last week that she had not been selected for the time trial, but would be nominated for the road race and the track points race.

National Coach Johan Lammerts said that she should concentrate on the points race, where her chances are better, but Vos countered, "They can't ignore my versatility like that." There are four days between the two races, and "That is enough time for me to recover," she told telesport.nl. "I even think I need the time trial in order to be good in the points race. Before the road race, I will have no competitions for two weeks, and without the time trial, I would have another eight days without competition. I am a rider who needs to race to be good. I understand nothing of this decision. Others are now deciding what is right for me."

She added that Lammerts had previously indicated to her that she would ride. "In our conversations the last few weeks, he said that my participation would be no problem. It's crazy we have been given two start places, but only Miriam Melchers will ride. It's not as if I would be taking the place of someone else."

Vos indicated that after hearing the news last Friday she had considered totally calling off her participation in the Olympics. "But the Games are only held once every four years. I have prepared myself for them for months. I can't just throw that all away." (SW)
MacRoadie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics or Petulance?

Let's see if I've got this right. She's been given the unique honor of representing her country in two Olympic events, but she feels inclined to sue for an opportunity to seek a third medal.

Further, by her own admission, at least one of the events will really be serving more as training than anything else: "I will have no competitions for two weeks, and without the time trial, I would have another eight days without competition. I am a rider who needs to race to be good".

Lastly, "Vos indicated that after hearing the news last Friday she had considered totally calling off her participation in the Olympics. "But the Games are only held once every four years. I have prepared myself for them for months. I can't just throw that all away."

Maybe the Olympics are just another race for Marianne, but just the fact that the thought of not participating even crossed her mind for one second because she was "only" competing in two events rather than three brings into question her motivations for competing in the first place.

The real shame is that an athlete is more concerned about a medal count than the sheer joy that should be derived from the rare and unique honor of simply being asked to represent your country at the Olympic Games.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you have to have been following her for the past two years. HER COUNTRY had been boasting that she has an opportunity to be the first woman to medal in the 3 disciplines.

Her country has been boasting that she is the first woman to hold 3 world titiles in the same year in Cyclo cross, Road and Track.

You can't have it both ways.

She is amazing and I think she should be allowed to race since she isn't taking another atlete's ticket. It would be a different case if there was another rider her country they would like to send. It seems they are just leaving a TT spot vacant.

Yes that is just her side, but with listening to riders stories from their perspective of what happens to the ladies in the cycling world, it seems they verify each others views so something must be going on....What does her country have to loose, she is already going to be there? But they have potential to gain!
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ina T from Germany and Judith Ardnt have some intriguing stories about their countries politics as well. If I can find the old articles (though Ina recently talked about "too many politics") I will lead you in that direction.

Guess that is a difference of following women's cycling versus mens.

In the news: The men seem to have a doping problem, the women have funding/support problem......
MacRoadie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's the difference between being grateful for what you have and what's been offered to you versus what you think you are entitled to.

The right direction in this debate won't be found in some cycling news archive. It's not about cycling, or judo, or badminton, or track and field or any other Olympic sport, regardless of stature or marquee value or gender. It's about people in our society expecting rather than appreciating, demanding rather than accepting. It's about character. We can't expect it from federations or political organizations, but we should expect it from individuals. Especially those given such a wonderful opportunity.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good perspective. I agree about the entitlement issue that folks have. I wasn't thinking it in those terms.

I was looking at the sport for women in general and the up hill battle the ladies seem to have, but still with their determination and self will manage to be incredible athletes.

Women in the sport of cycling work very hard for very little. They certainly don't do it for the paycheck, but for the self satisfaction and accomplishment.

There are some folks who are very supportive of women's cycling and their is some optimism and is very encouraging.

For example Mike Englemen's collegiate and women's program is fantastic.
Hopefully more programs with be forth coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: