SoCalCycling.com Forum Index SoCalCycling.com
A Cycling Forum for Everyone that Loves to Ride a Bike!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE STATE OF WOMEN'S BICYCLE RACING IN SO CAL...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wongwongway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: THE STATE OF WOMEN'S BICYCLE RACING IN SO CAL... Reply with quote

Here is what women are doing to challenge themselves in So Cal this summer:

* Disney Women's Sprint Triathlon 1,300+ participants
* Run Like a Girl 8k run/walk 800+ participants
* ... Road cycling... 43 women raced at San Pedro Elite Women's Criterium Championships Women 1-3 (32) and 3/4 (11) this past weekend... Hmmm?

OPPORTUNITY AWAITS THE FUTURE OF WOMEN IN SPORT:
Since the passage of Title IX in 1972 36 years ago - created from the Civil Rights Act of 1967 and equal rights, the law's progress has been slow, yet has created opportunity for women to participate in collegiate sports growing 300% since then... AND, girls participation in high school sports has increased 900%... evident in the high turnout for women in triathlons and running events. The future of women in sport is bright and will continue to grow!

It is time to EMPOWER THE BICYCLE AND THE WOMAN:
With the cost of gasoline and the empowerment of women... cycling opportunities for women and bicycle racing can only grow!!!

STATS ON THE SCNCA:
Here's some SCNCA stats for you all to ponder over... I might be off a bit, but it's pretty close.

TOTAL LICENSED SCNCA RIDERS : 3356 - I believe 2nd largest in the USA

2,953 MEN = 88% TOTAL RIDERS
403 WOMEN = 12% TOTAL RIDERS

WOMEN STATS: of 403 licensed women riders
UNDER 18 = 36 - 9% TOTAL WOMEN
UNDER 23 = 63 - 15%
UNDER 30 = 115 - 28%
OVER 30 = 288 - 71%
OVER 35 = 231 - 57%
OVER 40 = 180 - 44%
OVER 45 = 122 - 30%
OVER 50 = 61 - 15%

LICENSED RIDERS BY AGE GROUPS:
under 18 = 36
19-29 = 78
30-39 = 104
40-49 = 116
50-59 = 53
60-69 = 1

25-29 = 46
30-34 = 54
35-39 = 50
40-44 = 57
45-49 = 59
50-54 = 35
55-59 = 18
60+ = 8

UNATTACHED RACERS = 51 = 13% OF TOTAL WOMEN
CLUBS/TEAMS WITH WOMEN RIDERS = 118
TEAMS WITH 10 OR MORE LICENSED WOMEN RIDERS = 18
=============================================

MY RANTS IF YOU CHOOSE TO READ THEM:

*INTERESTING STATÖ ELITE WOMENíS 1-3 RACE AT SAN PEDRO SUNDAY
10 OF THE 30 RACERS ON THE RESULTS WERE OVER THE AGE OF 35... DESPITE 57% OF THE SCNCA LICENSED RIDERS BEING OVER 35, ONLY 33% FELT THEY COULD/WANTED TO COMPETE FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIPS. EVEN WITH A $1,000 CASH PURSE. AND WITH 57% OF THE 403 SCNCA LICENSED WOMEN OVER THE AGE OF 35... AND 44% OVER 40! I TRULY BELIEVE THERE SHOULD BE A MASTERS WOMEN'S CATEGORY, AS WOMEN AGE AND NO LONGER FEEL COMPETITIVE AT THE ELITE LEVEL, THERE IS NO WHERE TO GO AS OUR MALE COUNTERPARTS HAVE RACE CATEGORIES 45+ 55+ 60+ -- SO HOW ABOUT OFFERING 10 RACES ON THE SCNCA CALENDAR TO BE A MASTERS WOMEN'S SO CAL CUP SERIES. THE SCNCA SHOULD SUPPORT THE PROMOTERS WHO OFFER THESE RACES WITH A $$$ GRANT LIKE THEY DO WITH THOSE WHO PROMOTE LAJOR EVENTS FOR JUNIORS. IF THE 18 CLUBS WITH 10+ WOMEN'S TEAMS SUPPORT THE MASTER'S WOMEN'S SERIES THAT WOULD MAKE THE MOST SENSE AS THOSE CLUBS COULD DO THE PROMOTION TO GET THE WOMEN OUT TO RACE!
* BICYCLE RACING IN GENERAL NEEDS TO DO MORE PROMOTION AND EDUCATION OUTSIDE OF THE BICYCLE COMMUNITY. BUT THERE ARE SOME GREAT EVENTS DOING GREAT COMMUNITY PROMOTION:
1. THIS SUNDAY AT THE MBGP... THE WOMEN'S 3/4 RACE WAS INCLUDED AND THE MEN'S CAT 5 AND 55+60+ RACES WERE EXCLUDED FOR TIME LIMITATIONS. THIS IS YOUR TIME TO SHINE AND SHOW THE COMMUNITY HOW MUCH FUN IT IS TO WATCH WOMEN RACE!! BRING YOUR LADIES TO REPRESENT AT BOTH RACES! IT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SPONSORS TO BE SEEN!
2. I HOPE YOU ALL CAN TRAVEL UP TO SISQUOC AND SLO CRITERIUM 7/19-20. THERE WILL BE A CAT 3/4 WOMEN'S WEEKEND COMBINED POINTS COMPETITION AND THE SLO CRIT PRO WOMEN'S PRIZE PURSE IS EQUAL TO THE ELITE MEN'S! YOU WILL SEE THE COMMUNITY COME ALIVE IN SLO!!!
*RUMOR HAS IT, there is a women's NRC race brewing in So Cal for the Tour of CA? Whoever knows that info... that would be a great opportunity for promotion of women's cycling!
* WOMEN'S EDUCATION AND SUPPORT PROGRAMS LIKE THE "WCC" AND "LOTS" SHOULD INCLUDE CLINICS/MENTORING PROGRAMS/A RACE SERIES AND COULD PLAY SIGNIFICANT ROLES IN EDUCATING AND REACHING OUT TO NEWER AND YOUNGER RIDERS... BUT IN ORDER FOR IT TO BE SUCCESSFUL THESE PROGRAMS NEED THE COLLABORATION, TALENTS AND SUPPORT OF THE WOMEN IN CYCLING AND THEIR CLUBS. WHEN I FIRST BEGAN RACING, I ATTENDED THE WOMEN'S ONLY MTB WEEKEND IN BIG BEAR WITH PRO RIDERS MENTORING OVER 300 WOMEN PARTICIPANTS... GREAT INSTRUCTION AND FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT FOR A FIRST RACE... THAT WAS 13 YEARS AGO!!!
* COLLECTIVELY WE NEED TO TAKE CHARGE AND GROW WOMEN'S CYCLING... NOT ONE OR TWO PEEPS... NEED YA'LL!!!!

CYCLING WOMEN NEED TO CREATE CYCLING CHANGE:
It would be great to start a dialogue NOW for the promotion of women's cycling into 2009 and beyond. Let's create a women's cycling task force would be great tool to build change/develop/promote/grow and meet the needs of the women's race scene. Collectively women must be the driving force for change.

I can start a sign-up e-mail list of those who want to get the wheels turning. dot@socalcross.org

Or please DO share your thoughts on how to grow women's racing... it would be great to hear!!!

Last edited by wongwongway on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
racergurl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the newbies would stick around and become real races if more or all of the women in so cal were nicer and wanted to help them succeed. So what I would suggest doing if you would like the sport to grow is BE NICE and give a little help and advice... If everyone helped the newbies succeed we would have a more competitive race and larger fields and not just 3 girl that have a chance to win the race every weekend. This is a team sport and I can name a lot of women that race locally in so cal that are way too elitist for their own good, and they are the ones that drive the newbies away...

The WCC was a very good try the last few years but who the voice of it was killed it...
wongwongway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Thanks for speaking out! Reply with quote

IT IS AN EXCITING TIME TO BE A WOMAN IN SPORTS... Dara Torres at 41 tries to become the oldest swimmer (and after having a baby) to reach her 5th Olympic Games... and her chances look good!!! WNBA rookie sensation Candace Parker made the 2nd and 3rd ever dunks in the history of the 12 years of the woman's basketball league - in less than a week. These historic feats by women are making headline news on TV! (So Cal is full of national even world champion females in cycling... how cool would it be to see them in the headline news!... we need to get them represented - So Cal and USA cycling need to show off our bad---ladies!)

Thanks for speaking out RACERGURL - it takes a lot to voice opinions and hope we can keep the thread going. Personally, I agree that road racing is intimidating and even seems to have a "us vs. them - not on my team" mentality.... though I believe a lot of the feeling stems from FEAR itself... either way it is not welcoming and a significant factor why women are more attracted to running and triathlons where the COMMUNITY and the CHALLENGE are more important than head-to-head COMPETITION.

It is amazing to see the differences in competitive women's cycling. With my racing roots stemming from mountain biking and much of my focus now in cyclocross where racers come from all cycling disciplines... road, MTB, triathlon or just race cross... women tell me how much they are intimidated by road racing and how they don't know what to do when they are in a race. My cross teammates race Pro MTB and yet, I can barely get them to a road race, nevermind a crit!... though it is my mission in 2009!

It is difficult to learn from a local group ride comprised mainly of men when you can't even hold their pace! And there IS a learning curve to road tactics and bike handling which is much different than riding TT style in a tri or riding down a singletrack... or even jumping over a barrier in CX! For the most part, these women perceive road racing as scary and dangerous. EDUCATION and embracing the newer riders is key to the growth of the sport!

Just think... if the 403 licensed riders bring just one women into the sport and help educate them. We could have 806 women racing on the road!

The SCNCA mentoring program for cat 4 women in 2007 was positive . Being directly involved in the WCC last year, I saw how much the women thanked the mentor for their education and keeping them safe. Unfortunately, the USA Cycling rules for one race category on a race course and the limitations on race day schedule and category selection coming down to SoCalCup categories and economics has prevented most events from holding cat 4 only races for women and has hushed the mentoring for 2008.

It has been suggested there be a practice series of women's only criteriums across the region during the spring/early summer to help get women educated and started... a great solution! Maybe even a women's only weekend clinic in the spring!

Also, it would be great to hear what other teams/ladies are doing for training here in So Cal! I personally lead a for ladies weekly summer ride. Today we are practicing pace-lining. PAA has a women's weekly ride and ladies weekend ride 1x month. Julia Cross has her LOTS track program. What else is going on???

So, please so consider making a difference and speaking out here today. It is for your future and the future of women's cycling. Your comments will be heard. UNITED WE STAND... DIVIDED WE FALL... (someone once said)

And please consider having your team represented on the 2009 "steering committee" to grow women's cycling in So Cal! Send your e-mail to: dot@socalcross.org

Last edited by wongwongway on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
wongwongway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: TOP SCNCA TEAMS/CLUBS WITH WOMEN Reply with quote

By the way, here are the current 2008 top 18 SCNCA teams-clubs with the highest number of women members:

San Diego Bicycle Club-Acqua al 2/SDBC
South Bay Wheelmen
Bicycle Johns Serious Cycling
Helens Racing-Trek
Cycles Veloce-Team Simple Green
Southern California Velo
Femmes Fatales
Pasadena Athletic Assoc (PAA)
Sho-air/Sonance
Team Velosport Club
Big Ring Racing
Velo Club La Grange Westwood
CA Pools Racing
Higher Cadence Cycling Club
Kalyra/Bella Nova Women's Cycling Team
NOW-MS Society-VRC
DeWalt Racing
Velo Bella-Kona

AND HERE ARE THE TOP 20 TEAMS/RIDERS CURRENTLY IN THE SOCALCUP STANDINGS BASED ON PERFORMANCE AND PARTICIPATION...

1 Beatriz Rodriguez Southern California Velo
2 Rachel Tzinberg Bicycle Johns Serious Cycling
3 Bonnie Bourque Acqua al 2/SDBC
4 Morgan Kapp South Bay Wheelmen
5 Anna Lang Aaron's Womens Pro Cycling
6 Elizabeth (Betsy) Galenti Southern California Velo
7 Ruth Clemence Cycles Veloce
8 Pamela Schuster Helens/Trek
9 Sandra Kolb Bicycle Johns Serious Cycling
10 Lana Atchley Team Rock
11 Rachel Herring Team Rock
12 Cara Gillis Team Vegan
13 Alicia Boland Higher Cadence Cycling Club
14 Erika Graves Helens/Trek
15 Katharine Lundby Helens/Trek
16 Kendall Ryan Major Motion Cycling Club
17 Catherine Fiedler Home Depot Center Team
18 Coryn Rivera Kahala LaGrange
19 Bonnie Breeze Helens/Trek
20 Jennifer Wilson Vanderkitten Racing

... YOUR INFLUENCE TO MAKE CHANGE IS SIGNIFICANT!
racergurl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from other sports I find that the women cyclists are not the same as women in other sports. In high school I was on the varsity soccer, softball, and cross county running teams, then in collage I had a full ride for playing softball until I was injured and thatís when I starting riding a bike. After the last 5 seasons racing here in so cal I am very fed up with the way the women treat each other. And during 3 of those off seasons I have played indoor soccer for cross training. In collage and the 3 seasons I played indoor soccer I never saw anything like I have seen racing. I have raced much less this year than any other year and am considering going back to running or a real team sport just for fun, since the other women just arenít making racing fun for me anymore. If it wasn't for the men on my local group rides I don't think I would have ever gotten the help that I needed to start racing and let alone upgrading to a cat 2.

I would like to see this thread keep going and for others to say how they feel about racing here in so cal.
BikeBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please... no flames for replying to this post without actually being female... Wink

But this is an interesting subject to which, over the last few years, I've given some thought. Both racergurl and wongwong (I think I know both of you, btw) make some good points.
Just for edification, the current racer of the family (wife) competed here in SoCal for a few seasons and has since focused on NRC/UCI type stuff. But she still has occasion to show up to the odd local race or two.
Over the last season or two, it's been very interesting to see and hear the differences between local and non-local racing. Many of the stories include differences in team dynamic, team member personalities, the personalities and attitudes of other teams and competitors... all with a common theme:

The women and teams on the NRC/UCI circuit are much friendlier, helpful, supportive and positive. All while fighting really, really hard and going really fast.
While local racing / racers (of course this is a VAST generalization) seem to have an attitude or 'chip' on the shoulder, the larger scene seems to have dropped that in favour of just being competetive, helpful and friendly. This is a sentiment echoed by many of the women racers I've talked with. Makes me wonder why would there be any difference. If anything, you'd think (like wongwong says) that local, grassroots racing would be like a big, fun party with some racing thrown in. But it's clearly not... at least on the pavement. The 'crossers and MTBers seem to not have much 'tude.
I'm always hearing of "positive" racing on the national level vs. "negative" racing on the local level... Is there something to that?
I mean, I'm not actually in the women's peloton so I can't pass any judgment.

Just trying to add my 2 cents... I'm around women's racing a lot. And I've eavesdropped even more. For what it's worth, the wife almost always comes home from the NRC/UCI trips with a great attitude and great stories. From the local stuff... not so much. That's curious.

Good topic for discussion.
hjr13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that there are two different issues being discussed here: 1. The attitude/possible elitism/racing style by women currently in the peloton. 2. The small number of women racers.

Regarding the first, I think you find what you are looking for. This is my 3rd year racing and I have made MANY friends across many teams. Showing up at the start line is like seeing your friends for coffee, people are chatting and catching up, usually with people from other teams more than your own. You see your own teammates all the time, right?

Is it daunting at first? Yes. But if you put any effort into choosing a TEAM (versus riding unattached) then you should have a ready made support group. If your team members are not friendly to you, maybe you chose poorly and should try another team. Are there some teams known for being less friendly? Yes, but I think 80 -90% of the women out there are friendly.

I know that there are some examples of bad blood in the peloton, but I rarely see any examples of it being acted on during races. I've also found that the longer I race the safer and more "well-behaved" the racing seems, could it be that my bike handling and awareness are improving??? Anyway, the racing is tactical and in my opinion strong, at least anytime the field is large enough.

2. Number of women racing.

Why do so many women have licenses and never race? That's crazy, do they just like donating money to USAC?

I WOULD love to see more women race, but it is a COMPETITION, not hand holding and tea time. The reason so many women do 10ks and Tri is because it is no longer a race for most people, just an accomplishment to finish. Where is the accomplishment in riding around a 1 flat one mile circuit by yourself for 50 minutes? You need to be part of the race to have a reason to be there - or at least trying to increase the amount of time you can stay with the group before getting dropped. Meanwhile the other women are trying to be at the front, racing, which requires a certain level of aggression.

If so few women race because the current racers are mean and unsupportive and men on group rides are so great, why are women only a very small percentage on groups rides (of mid-to-high speed anyway), as well?

I'm sure I've ruffled some feathers, but my main point is that local racing is what you make of it. Many of us have found the balance of strong competition on the course and friendship off, which in my opinion is the way it should be.
2-cents

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: I agree with racergurl Reply with quote

I agree with racergurl.

There are serious elitist issues amongst more accomplished women racers in SoCal and honestly, it is a real drag. And yes, it does turn women off to the sport of road racing. I no longer race because of it.

The concept of WCC was good in theory but really, it changed little in the peloton. The foundation of the WCC, the couple of active and accomplished racers, were already girls that were fun and good to race with, and APPROACHABLE.

Good luck growing woman's cycling. It is a wonderful and fun sport but until some of those nasty, argumentative, ego-inflated girls retire, I suspect it'll just be more of the same.
JETTanner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: The USWCDP Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I think you are going to see a shift in women's cycling in the next year, and most of it is going to come from the USWCDP (US Women's Cycling Development Program). If you do not know about them you should seek them out and get with Michael Engleman. The USWCDP and JETCycling want to change the way the sport is viewed, and increase the number of female and junior participants.

Seek out Michael at www.uswcdp.org, and he will give you the run down on what we are trying to accomplish. Also, Nationals will hopefully help in increasing the visibility of our sport. Get with me if you want to help.

All proceeds benefit the USWCDP!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
B-Dub

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sidenote:

I think the best thing we can do to expand cycling is to promote womens cycling. Just think about it. Why do bars have ladies night? Because wherever the ladies are the men will follow.
Dear Crabby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-Dub wrote:
Here's a sidenote:

Because wherever the ladies are the men will follow.

DOH!!!!!!
SoCalCycling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-Dub wrote:
Here's a sidenote:

I think the best thing we can do to expand cycling is to promote womens cycling. Just think about it. Why do bars have ladies night? Because wherever the ladies are the men will follow.

And on a similar note, another selling point of getting women to race is the great ratio of sexy, fit men (with nice legs) to women. With out knowing the numbers for sure I am guessing it's 90 % men to 10 % women. Those are some good odds, if you ask me. Very Happy
BikeBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, true...
And... some of us dudes think that fit racer chicks are WAY sexy.

There's a reason why I volunteered to be my wife's team's soigneur!!!!

Hotness. Cool
wongwongway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: MBGP update... Reply with quote

Congrats to the Cat 3/4 ladies for the fine race at MBGP. The pace looked fast and it was great to see the determination in so many faces!

Congrats to the Cat 1/2 ladies for representing So Cal at the NRC level. These teams came from all over. Even New Zealand!!!

Thanks to the ladies who gathered at the race to discuss the future of women's cycling in So Cal. We had a great discussion and each person who voiced their opinion was passionate... and ultimately saying the same thing, so the solutions are right at our fingertips!

One point was that we need So Cal's own teams and riders to be a part of the change. We will have a gathering in the coming weeks to work on the finer points/plan for our future. NOW is the time to hear your input. We need you to voice what women CAN do to grow cycling and hope you see the VALUE in working TOGETHER!

Contact me at: dot@socalcross.org and I will add you to the e-mail list to be kept up to date on the info.

Finally, thanks to those who have voiced their thoughts on this forum and hope more of you will choose to speak out!

Also, please consider carpooling to the Central Coast for the Sisquoc-SLO weekend of racing... road and crit. Equal prize purse for elite men and women and Cat 3 and Cat 4 women - this weekend is for you too:

Race-Ready Clinic, Friday July 18th at Art's Cyclery
Attention: all new/intermediate racers. This clinic is for YOU. Open to men and women who want to learn or refine the skills of criterium racing. Plus meet the instigators of our very own SLO Bike Kitchen who will talk about basic bike care. Local Elite Racers Kristina Seley of PROMAN Professional Cycling Team and Ozvaldo Olmos of Cal Giant Cycling Team will bring their years of experience to this FREE clinic at Art's Cyclery. Get all the details at: cencalcycling.com

CAT 3 AND CAT 4 WOMEN - HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN THE CYCLING MADE REAL CHAMPION JERSEY AND COOL PRIZES FROM... CyclingMadeReal a national grassroots women's cycling organization offering a network of points series and skills clinics for beginner and intermediate women cyclists and triathletes. They aim to break down the barriers to participation by coordinating points series and offering clinics.

Sisquoc Road Race and SLO Downtown Criterium are participating by having a two-day competition for the best overall Category 4 woman, and the best Category 3 woman in 3/4 race. So all you 3's and 4's, join us in making Cycling REAL for you!!!
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: MBGP update... Reply with quote

wongwongway wrote:
Congrats to the Cat 3/4 ladies for the fine race at MBGP. The pace looked fast and it was great to see the determination in so many faces!

The size of the 3/4 field was decent when compared to other races, but it still could have been better, especially when the promoter included it at the expense of other categories that would certainly have been larger and have brought in more money.

A cat 5 field at MB guarantees 50 riders. The W 3/4 field was 38. When you consider that at least some of the 3's would still have raced in an expanded W 1-3, you have to wonder whether a 3/4 will be included next year.
bmbcyclist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note, the MBGP was a cat 1/2 women's race, not a cat 123 so the cat 3 women only had one race to race.

How many cat 1/2 were there this year? Eric?
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmbcyclist wrote:
Just a note, the MBGP was a cat 1/2 women's race, not a cat 123 so the cat 3 women only had one race to race.

I understood that. I was comparing the options for the future. If they eliminated the 3/4, I suspect they'd expand the 1/2 to include 3s.

Since some of the 3s that raced the 3/4 would have raced a 123 if that were the alternative, the race likely lost out on more than 12 entry fees (comparing the 38 3/4s to a full field of Cat 5s). I don't know whether that is significant enough in the organizer's mind, but more 3/4s need to step up when races like MBGP give them a slot at the expense of entry fees.
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmbcyclist wrote:
How many cat 1/2 were there this year? Eric?

75?

http://scnca.com/count.asp
wongwongway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: More stats... Reply with quote

OK. Here are more stats to ponder...

Breakdown of female licensed SCNCA riders...

34 Cat 1
59 Cat 2
80 Cat 3
230 Cat 4

TOTAL WOMEN 403 and 12% of the total SCNCA racer population.

** DISCLAIMER... women's participation in bicycle racing will probably never be equal to that of men for many reasons. So, its growth will probably be in smaller increments. BUT IT CAN GROW!!!!

=====================================

NUMBERS FROM MBGP...

Cat 3/4 women compared to the 3/4 men at MBGP

38 female to 213 men... which is roughly 16% of the men and women cat 3/4, so how can the women "step up" when we are exceeding the stats already... of course not counting "sell outs" and Cat 5, and if we add those numbers to the mix, the women would be about 12% of the cat 3/4/5 men which is the normal % of total licensed riders.

In the elite Cat 1/2 women compared to the 1/2 men
75 to 191 -- so women comprised 28% of the total 1/2 racers more than double the 12%.

Overall what do these stats mean to me? It means, that in order for women's cycling to grow - it's not just the current licensed riders needing to "step up", but rather more outreach by the current cycling clubs, race promoters, the SCNCA and USA Cycling to attract newer riders to the sport of bicycle racing and more EDUCATION of new cat 4's and race opportunities to keep the current rider base racing... INCLUDING offering masters racing, clinics, outreach to the young athletes who are all racing triathlons and running 5k's!

AND, if promoters/promoting clubs worked at it, they could find a category sponsor for the women's events. At MBGP, Rock Racing as presenting sponsor showed up with quite the caravan of cars and trucks and Team Rock women represented in the Women 3/4 race. This was an important partnership and important to have the women's events at this race when the presenting sponsor has women's teams!

By the way... we need to understand how important growing our youth in cycling is for the future of this sport... (let's get more female junior riders!)

I recently attended the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks basketball game at the Staples Center and was reminded of how the 900% growth of female participation in organized sports - in elementary, high school and college - has made a tremendous impact for women's participation in professional sports.

12 years ago the WNBA was launched, financially supported by NBA teams. Now the league has a more youthful, larger pool of WNBA stars flourishing in the game!

That night, the VETERAN team had 54 years of combined Pro and Olympic experience. The other team was comprised of the NEW-younger collegiate all-stars and despite half the years of pro experience, the younger team dominated the veteran team. It showed me that with equal opportunity to play basketball/sports in their early years (1 in 3 girls play organized sports in high school) and having the veteran female role models from the 12 years of the WNBA - and let's not forget MALE role models, today's female athletes are becoming more athletic and stronger!

After the game, it was amazing to see so many young female fans courtside asking their NEW AGE role models for autographs and capturing photos of their favorite female players on their cell phones. How cool is that??? Female athlete role models for young girls who may dream of becoming the next WNBA star!

How about cycling???

If you want to be a part of the change, we are forming a women's steering committee, please contact me: dot@socalcross.org - and I'll add you to the list. So far, we have about 10 women who have contacted me. If you know if anyone who might not read this forum, please pass on the link.

Would love to set up a meeting during National Championships week in August.
Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understood that. I was comparing the options for the future. If they eliminated the 3/4, I suspect they'd expand the 1/2 to include 3s.

Since some of the 3s that raced the 3/4 would have raced a 123 if that were the alternative, the race likely lost out on more than 12 entry fees (comparing the 38 3/4s to a full field of Cat 5s). I don't know whether that is significant enough in the organizer's mind, but more 3/4s need to step up when races like MBGP give them a slot at the expense of entry fees.

Wasn't MBGP a NRC race? I don't believe that an NRC race allows cat 3s to race with the 1/2s. I also don't believe that there would have been as great of a turnout of Pro women if it were not an NRC race. Seriously doubt that TIBCO etc etc would have shown up to race just another crit. Instead of being negative, how about coming up with ideas to expand women's cycling? As Dorothy points out, we need to bring more women to the sport if we're going to increase the number of racers. How about it, Roger - know any women that you could help to start cycling?
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie wrote:
Wasn't MBGP a NRC race? I don't believe that an NRC race allows cat 3s to race with the 1/2s. I also don't believe that there would have been as great of a turnout of Pro women if it were not an NRC race. Seriously doubt that TIBCO etc etc would have shown up to race just another crit. Instead of being negative, how about coming up with ideas to expand women's cycling? As Dorothy points out, we need to bring more women to the sport if we're going to increase the number of racers. How about it, Roger - know any women that you could help to start cycling?

I'm not quite sure how I'm being negative.

When an organizer decides to include a W 3/4 field at the expense of a guaranteed sell out Cat 5, then the women need a strong showing if they want to be the beneficiaries of those decisions in the future. Maybe saying they need to "step up" is a bit harsh, especially since 38 riders is a relatively strong field and may indeed have been a strong enough showing, but the point still stands.

This isn't inconsistent with bringing more women into the sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoCalCycling.com Forum Index -> Women's Racing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: